Re: more on anything.el inclusion

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: more on anything.el inclusion
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 13:43:37 -0400

Thierry Volpiatto <address@hidden> writes:

> Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> Say you want to see how look dejavu fonts in emacs:
>>> M-x anything-xfonts RET
>>
>> Does this happen automatically when you do x-choose-font?
>
> Don't know what is x-choose-font, i have not such command.

Sorry, x-select-font

BTW, anything-xfonts is not the best example, looking at fonts is not
a very frequent action.  Can you give an example of a more frequent
operation / mode of operation.

>> As a user do I need to know a lot of anything-* function names, or
>> this happens automatically when I use completion?
>
> AFAIK M-x provide completion on all emacs commands, why not for anything
> commands?
> You can use anything-M-x or anything-emacs-commands as a replacement of
> M-x.

So are you saying that instead of using M-x SOMETHING one would use
M-x anything-SOMETHING?

Normally users don't do M-x find-file, they to C-x C-f, so if you do C-x C-f do
you get
M-x anything-find-file ? (and similar for other key bindings)

>> You might want to step back, and think about how to present this to
>> someone that has not idea what anything.el is, and what it can do.
> On the user point of view, there is nothing to understand, anything
> provide emacs commands like any other emacs package.
>
> So you do M-x anything- TAB and try differents commands.

As a user, if the package does not quite tell me why would I want to
try it, I won't do it.  That's why I am asking from some simple, easy
to understand, significant examples.

>> (I still don't know after a few emails...)
> I assume you are joking. ;-)

I am not.  All I know that it's a package that does some kind of
completion that is activated after you do (require 'anything).  But
it's unclear what type of completion, and why would I want to use it.
Please don't get this wrong, many people are saying it's a great
package, but the description can use some improvement.