Re: What is emacs architecture ?

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: What is emacs architecture ?
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 18:32:59 -0400

Fren Zeee <address@hidden> writes:
>If it were truly a valuable document, someone _here_ would have
>definitely pursued it, read it and likely enhanced the ideas.
>
>I am not asking at the moment of the architecture of the whole of
>elisp code of packages but the basic architecture in C ie primitives ,
>the operation of the lisp stack for the diassembled code and so on.
>Where is the documentation of the lisp assembled code in elisp.pdf ?
>Jim Blandy's article touches everything a little superficially.
>
>Where do you get the very minimal of the emacs code ? For anyone to
>contribute to emacs, there has to be some very minimal code to be read
>and understood and also documenting the journey for future reference
>when the person starts forgetting.

I don't know -- I was taught this stuff (mostly by Jim Blandy, years
ago, in person :-) ).  But I think the general way is to pick a bug, try
to fix it, and ask a lot of questions.  At the end of that process, you
might be able to write the document you're looking for.

Wish I had a better answer for you...