Re: CMake build anyone?

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: CMake build anyone?
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 20:21:53 +0200

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 19:57, Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> wrote:

> I did that for LLVM (1) and it is perfectly doable for Emacs,
> AFAIK. Maybe there are a few configuration tests that are not trivial,
> but we can "borrow" from autoconf.

You're talking about emulating the current autoconf machinery, so
talking about the Unixy targets. And I'm saying that the trouble right
now is that the Windows makefiles have drifted quite a lot from the
Unix ones (IIRC they are based on very old Unix makefiles) and
unifying them will be difficult, or at least arduous.

> Just providing cmake
> as an option where autoconf is available, and as the official method
> where it isn't.

That'd be great.

> One caveat: knowing nothing about the emacs MSDOS build, I don't know
> how well CMake works for it. Maybe we can use cmake's cross-compiling
> feature for driving the MSDOS compiler (DJGPP?)

You'll have to ask Eli, but somehow I don't think the MSDOS port will
be harder than the Windows one, quite the contrary.

    Juanma