Re: Selection changes in revno 100822

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Selection changes in revno 100822
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 01:43:44 +0300

> Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 18:21:05 +0100
> From: David De La Harpe Golden <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> clipboards aren't overwritten when you merely select text.
> clipboards are overwritten when you cut/copy (C-x/C-c)
> clipboards are not inserted when you click mouse-2.
> clipboards are inserted when you paste (C-v)
> (w32 clipboard, ns general pasteboard, x11 clipboard*).
>
> primary selections are overwritten when you merely select text.
> primary selections are not overwritten when you cut/copy (C-x/C-c) (but
> they've probably already just been overwritten because you selected text
> just before you cut/copied).
> primary selections are inserted when you click mouse-2.
> primary selections are not inserted when you paste (C-v)

I see the logic and consistency of this, but that's not how Emacs
behaves, as of now, on X.  Cutting text does overwrite the primary
selection, probably due to select-active-regions being `lazy' by
default.  There's also a fundamental asymmetry in that C-w puts text
into the primary selection, but C-y does not yank it back.

As long as Emacs does not behave according to the above scheme, you
cannot use it as an argument to approve or reject certain behaviors
that contradict that scheme.