Re: Locks on the Bzr repository

From: Uday S Reddy
Subject: Re: Locks on the Bzr repository
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 22:51:44 +0100

On 8/21/2010 8:56 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

I'm thinking in terms of
simply committing all changes locally until the end of the work
session, then doing the merge to mirror and push to upstream in a
batch at the end of the session.

That'd be against the "not lumping together unrelated changes"
request.  Maybe I interpret it too strictly, but it will take Stefan's
or Chong's word to make me change this.

If you use an unbound branch with commit-rebase-push cycle, then commits won't be lumped together. They will appear as independent commits in the central repo. Lumping happens if you use bound branches and try to do local commits.

The recommended workflow (at least as Karl and I wrote it) assumed
that "one-commit changes" would be performed in a separate branch,
and merged into the mirror (bound branch) in batches.

This would again fly in the face of the "don't lump together..."
request, AFAIU.

Exactly.  There is no upside to bound branches.

You could try the rebase-based workflow that Stephen outlined in his message. That won't lump the commits together.

Cheers,
Uday