elpa.gnu.org policy (was: ELPA policy)

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: elpa.gnu.org policy (was: ELPA policy)
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 11:27:58 -0600

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 16:40:39 +0100 Julien Danjou <address@hidden> wrote:

JD> - Who will assure there's no regression for Emacs 24.1 user when people
JD>   will starts uploading packages using 24.2 only function?

JD> - Who will assure there's no regression at all?

(I've realized ELPA is ambiguous because there's an ELPA archive at
http://tromey.com/elpa/, so I clarified the topic)

Maybe elpa.gnu.org should publish a repository for each Emacs release,
enabled by default in that release:

All 24.x releases:
elpa.gnu.org/packages-24

24.1 only:
elpa.gnu.org/packages-24.1

24.2 only:
elpa.gnu.org/packages-24.2

All releases:
elpa.gnu.org/packages

I think we can handle that with VCS branches.

Through consistent versioning, the newest package in any of the enabled
repositories should win.  So consistent versioning should probably be an
absolute requirement for elpa.gnu.org inclusion, together with the
copyright assignment.

Ted