Re: elpa.gnu.org repository sync with Emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: elpa.gnu.org repository sync with Emacs
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 14:10:57 -0500

> If this is true and ELPA has the same strict copyright restrictions as
> the Emacs core, then IMO we're losing a significant portion of the
> benefit of ELPA.

It doesn't cut any of the benefits of ELPA.  It will only restrict them
to the cases of packages whose copyright has been transferred.
Note that transferring copyright is not nearly as much of a hassle as
many people think.  Yes, it's a big hassle for old packages that have
accumulated many contributions by many people over the years (AUCTeX and
BBDB come to mind), but most Elisp packages are smaller and mostly
written by a single author.

        Stefan