Re: elpa.gnu.org policy

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: elpa.gnu.org policy
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 14:31:53 +0100

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> Maybe try offering people the choice between the current situation;
> and one in which you only support the latest Emacs, and have twice as
> much time to develop new stuff...

Yeah...  well, back in the 90s, it made sense to support all the
different Emacs versions, because the development direction of the main
Emacs was so, er, interesting.  Ahem.  So there really were reasons for
people not to just use the latest Emacs.  But I don't really see that as
much of an issue any more...

> (I'm glad Gnus finally dropped Emacs 21, at least.)

Me too.  I wish it was possible to just write towards Emacs 24 and
pretend that nothing else existed, but just providing compat functions
for older/different Emacs versions, but then you'd have competing compat
functions for, well, everything.  So it's not doable.  *sigh*

  address@hidden * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen