Re: DocView now supports OpenDocument & MS Office formats

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: DocView now supports OpenDocument & MS Office formats
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 23:08:04 -0500

    > If there's another way to do the job, it might be better.

    The reason I chose unoconv/OO.org is that it required only a few lines
    of elisp to allow for viewing anything OO.org can read inside emacs.

It seems reasonable to me.  In principle, writing ODF support in Emacs
Lisp would be preferable, but that's a gigantic job and it might run
too slowly.

Anyway, even if this implementation is not ideal, it has the virtue of
existing.  So we may as well install it.  If another method is
implemented later, we could install that too.

Is it feasible to implement of saving a buffer with formatting
in ODF using this feature?  That would be really great.

--
Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation