Re: State of the CEDET merge

From: Lluís
Subject: Re: State of the CEDET merge
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 23:28:58 +0100

Lennart Borgman writes:

> On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 8:55 PM, Lluís <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, I'll have a look at it, but I think the discussion we had here
>> settled down to merging only in the cedet to emacs direction (using a
>> branch in cedet that were only meant to merge into
>> emacs).
>>
>> Unfortunately, this would force changes from the emacs community to be
>> applied into the cedet repository.

> Is that decision (and an explanation) written down somewhere? (And
> does bzr contain any tool to protect it?)

Sorry, I cannot find it right now. But I do remember someone (Stefan?)
proposing to use a specific branch for single-way cedet-to-emacs merges,
which seemed the easiest solution that could be automated.

Even better, I could probably write a simple script to maintain the
original history logs in the cases of file content changes (file
additions, removals and renamings cannot be handled so easily using only
diffs), just by importing the changes one by one and extracting their
log messages at the same time.

But supporting two-way merges is much more complex.

I also asked the bazaar people about current tools for inter-project
two-way sub-directory merges, but AFAIR, this needed to wait for the
"nested trees" [1] feature to be fully implemented.

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/bzr/+spec/nested-tree-support

If this were supported, emacs would just have a local CEDET branch
nested inside an emacs branch, so that all CEDET branches can be easily
merged back and forth.

Lluis

 Tollbooth