Re: A better autogen.sh

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: A better autogen.sh
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 20:15:50 +0200

> From: Glenn Morris <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 13:17:19 -0400
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > What would you or other maintainers say if I suggested a change that
> > would require them to log in to a remote system each time they wanted
> > to build the latest trunk, generate some file there, then copy it to
> > their local machine?  How can a member of a team even suggest
> > something like that to another member?
>
> If I try to put myself in the position of someone maintaining an MS port
> of GNU software, I honestly don't think I'd mind needing to access a GNU
> host once in a while.

I do access a GNU host from time to time.  It's being forced to do
that as a necessary prerequisite to a build that's annoying and from
time to time, depending on the QoS of my ISP, even more than that.

> That's why I suggested it, I was trying to help.

Maybe it's me, but it didn't sound like that.  Or maybe I should have
counted to ten.  Sorry.

> > I rather hope this will not the way, because it _is_ unreasonable,
> > both in practical terms and in its underlying attitude, which frankly
> > is revolting.
>
> Am I allowed to get annoyed at this point?

Yes.  Sorry.

> I also volunteer to set up a cron job that does this.

That would be great, thanks.