Re: user-controlled load-path extension: load-dir

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: user-controlled load-path extension: load-dir
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 16:01:24 -0500

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 16:11:47 -0400 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
SM> Ted wrote:
>> I know, but a package IMO will provide a better user experience because
>> of the number of possible options.  We already have recursive and
>> ignore-errors; I imagine the list will only grow.  Plus the loaded cache
>> in `user-load-dirs-loaded' is pretty crucial to avoid double-loading
>> files; remember Stephen Turnbull's concerns about installing hooks twice
>> for instance.  All of that is a pain to handle without a package.

SM> Sounds fine, but then make it an ELPA package.  If/when experience shows
SM> it's a package many users want/need, we can move it into core
SM> (i.e. bundle it with the standard Emacs distribution).

OK. I've attached the library (now called load-dir.el, which I think is
much better than user-load-*, especially since the function names are
shorter).  If you find it acceptable I'll commit it to the ELPA branch
and deploy it (or let me know what more is needed).  I modified the
comments and license a bit as well.  It should be possible to include it
like rainbow-mode, directly as a single file.

The Commentary was adjusted to reflect that the user needs to explicitly
call (load-dirs) in their .emacs.

Thanks
Ted