Re: face for non-ASCII characters

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: face for non-ASCII characters
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 22:45:53 -0500

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 16:29:39 -0400 Chong Yidong <address@hidden> wrote:

CY> Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
>> OTOH it's very nice to be told "hey, you could have X if you installed
>> package Y."  I think it's good to know about these opportunities at
>> customization time.

CY> That's more similar to "recommended packages" in OS-level packaging.
CY> I don't object, in principle, to adding functionality along those lines.

CY> But the markchars.el and idn.el situation actually points to an
CY> important danger.  IIUC, the straightforward solution would be to make
CY> idn.el a dependency, but that's been made difficult by the tangle of
CY> copyright and other problems in nXhtml.  So this kind of functionality
CY> might tend to encourage end-runs around mainline Emacs ("come use my
CY> version, and all this extra functionality is magically turned on!").

We could enforce the rule that you're only allowed to recommend other
packages that live within the same ELPA or something even more carefully
controlled (a fsf-kevin-bacon-number equal or greater than the current
one, if you know what I mean).  So the Emacs core can recommend anything
else in the core.  The GNU ELPA can recommend things in the GNU ELPA or
the Emacs core.  Tom Tromey's ELPA can recommend things in itself or the
GNU ELPA or the Emacs core...

Ted