Re: Emacs as a desktop environment

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Emacs as a desktop environment
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 10:21:25 -0500

On Wed, 25 May 2011 20:58:15 -0400 "Eric M. Ludlam" <address@hidden> wrote:

EML> As a part of Emacsifying your desktop, there is XWEM, which puts your
EML> emacs into a window manager implemented in Emacs.  If I recall, you
EML> can put some regular X widgets in the tray to get the time and battery
EML> and a few other things.

EML> http://www.nongnu.org/xwem/

I looked at it and it looks abandoned, plus the window manager is the
one piece that doesn't need to replaced in my view.

On Wed, 25 May 2011 19:33:11 -0600 Tom Tromey <address@hidden> wrote:

Tom> I have a hack to put things in the system tray from Emacs.
Tom> It isn't very well done; it would be nice if Emacs could do this, too.
Tom> Maybe this is related to what you are interested in, but maybe not.. ?

No, that's going the other way.  I want an Emacs instance to *be* the
system tray (and workspace indicator, and basically everything that
makes a desktop environment except the window manager and the
applications themselves).  Can the system tray interface be implemented
as a protocol or does it need C code?

Thanks
Ted