Re: Feature change or bug - Emacs server

From: Antoine Levitt
Subject: Re: Feature change or bug - Emacs server
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 01:45:11 +0200

13/06/11 19:18, Ted Zlatanov
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 01:49:20 +0900 address@hidden (T.V Raman) wrote:
>
> TVR> As someone who "already" uses Emacs as the desktop (via Emacspeak),
> TVR> I definitely think emacs-panel.el could make the Emacspeak Audio
> TVR> Desktop even better -- and I look forward to it. One of the first
> TVR> things I would want is to mimic things like nm-applet -- today,
> TVR> that's one of the few things I find impossible to do without waving
> TVR> a mouse at the Gnome GUI.  --
>
> Can you or someone else who knows NetworkManager (nmcli,
> nm-connection-editor, nm-tool, nm-online, nm-applet, etc.) explain what
> needs to be provided and how to do it?  Pointers to specs, docs,
> etc. are welcome.  Believe it or not I never use nm-applet so I have no
> idea what it can do :)  I'll then add that functionality to
> emacs-panel.el.

It looks hard and bug-inducing to reimplement the network manager
applet. A nice alternative would be some way (an M-x, an indicator in
the status line, a binding ...) to pop-up the menu from the applet
inside emacs. In general, having menus (applications, places, system,
network manager, whatever) pop up from emacs looks like a good
compromise, as well as a good "compatibility mode". I have no idea if
that's doable with the xembed branch.

I for one would be very happy to be rid of all that gnome nonsense and
just run emacs and a light fullscreen-oriented wm (that and some kind of
customizable bidirectional emacs <-> rest of the world notification
system are the only thing I really need, and I suspect many people as
well. For notifications, I currently use gnome-osd, which sucks less
than notify-osd, but not by far.) One of the things preventing me from
doing that (aside from laziness, obviously) is the traybar (where apps
can put their little icons, and, on ubuntu, where system thingies
(sound, network, etc.) used to be, before they moved to some new fancy
buggy framework).

I used to file the "move away from gnome and reclaim control on my
desktop" in my "some day" mental TODO list, but ubuntu's plans of
ditching everything that's remotely usable anymore in the next release
might accelerate the process.

In any event, good luck on your endeavour, and I'll be watching closely
in my endless pursuit of having my work done by other people. :-)