Re: Please don't refer to Emacs as "open source"

From: Sean Sieger
Subject: Re: Please don't refer to Emacs as "open source"
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 07:41:48 -0400

Antoine Levitt <address@hidden> writes:

    Emacs has come a long way since the heyday of the GNU project. I expect
    (but I might be wrong) that for many people involved in emacs nowadays,
    the only thing left of this GNU commitment in emacs you take for granted
    is annoying splash screens and papers to sign.

Yes.  Wrong.

    They don't want GNU's "official" participation in the survey, they just
    want the largest number of open source developpers to participate. Their
    study is about how open source devs work together as teams in
    distributed environments. Emacs is open source (aside from being "part
    of the GNU project"), therefore it makes sense to ask emacs devs for
    their input on this. Philosophy has nothing to do with it.

Antoine that's a sloppy way of promoting the ghost of dissolution you
mention above.