[display-buffer] a way to make it behave as before?

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: [display-buffer] a way to make it behave as before?
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 18:54:15 +0900

Hi,

I'm fiddling `display-buffer-alist' and others so as to make
`display-buffer' behave as before, though I didn't find out a
smart way so far.  What behavior I want is:

`find-file-other-window' opens a file in the other window of
the frame when the frame is split into two windows.  Don't split
either of two windows into two, IOW don't change the window
configuration of the frame[1].  Even if there is a window that
visits the file in another frame, don't use it[2].

As for the `other-window' specifier, it seems there's no way to
customize so as to make it behave as above.  (It might be
`display-buffer-macro-specifiers', but it's a constant.)

I wish there were a switch that makes it behave as before. ;-)

[1] I don't want an Emacs frame to be split into many windows,
    because the screen height of my note is not so high, and
    a font I use is not so small.
[2] `raise-frame' doesn't work on cygwin (and possibly some
    window managers, like metacity).