Re: [display-buffer] a way to make it behave as before?

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: [display-buffer] a way to make it behave as before?
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 11:11:56 +0900

martin rudalics wrote:
>> The *scratch* window appears in an Emacs frame.  Say it is the
>> first frame.  Type `C-x 5 b RET' there.  The *Messages* window
>> will appear in a new Emacs frame.  Say it is the second frame.
>> And then type `C-x 4 f ~/.emacs RET' in the second frame.  Hmm,
>> the .emacs window appears in the first frame.

I updated the bzr copy, rebuilt Emacs with it, launched Emacs with
the -Q option, and saw the behavior unchanged.

emacs -Q
C-x 5 b *Messages* RET
C-x 4 f ~/.emacs RET
 -> the file appears in the *other frame*.

It might be right in a literal sense because the ~/.emacs file
appears in the *other window* even if it is not in the frame in
which the `C-x 4 f' command is invoked, and even if it is a major
visible change of Emacs.  However, there is a case that violates
that specification:

emacs -Q
C-x 5 2
C-x 4 f ~/.emacs RET
 -> the file appears in the *other window* of the current frame.

[...]

> It shouldn't for emacs -Q.  And in this regard you're right.  I
> remembered that someone wanted to change the default value of
> `display-buffer-reuse-frames' to t and have set the default value of
> `display-buffer-alist' accordingly.  That's what you've seen earlier
> (but not in the scenario above!).  I'll take that back.  Meanwhile, try
> the steps below which will anticipate my change and tell me whether it
> works.

>>> If you want to avoid that another frame showing the buffer already is
>>> used, replace in all reuse-window specifiers you find in
>>> `display-buffer-alist' the last element by nil.
>>
>>> That is, wherever you see an object like
>>
>>>   (reuse-window nil same visible)
>>
>>> replace the term `visible' by nil
>>
>>>   (reuse-window nil same nil)
>>
>>> so only the selected and not all visible frames get inspected.

I tried this:

emacs -Q
(setcdr (cddr (assq 'reuse-window (car display-buffer-alist))) (list nil))
C-x 5 b *Messages* RET
C-x 4 f ~/.emacs RET

The behavior unchanged, i.e., the file appears in the other frame.

Well, does it happen with only Emacs built on cygwin?  Ok, I'll
test them in Linux in home, later.

Regards,