Re: [display-buffer] a way to make it behave as before?

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: [display-buffer] a way to make it behave as before?
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 17:47:17 +0200

> I'm fiddling `display-buffer-alist' and others so as to make
> `display-buffer' behave as before, though I didn't find out a
> smart way so far.  What behavior I want is:
>
> `find-file-other-window' opens a file in the other window of
> the frame when the frame is split into two windows.  Don't split
> either of two windows into two, IOW don't change the window
> configuration of the frame[1].

I just provided a new specifier for `display-buffer-alist' called
other-window-means-other-frame.  Please set it and tell me whether it
works (Sometimes I wonder what `find-file-other-frame' is for ;-)).

> Even if there is a window that
> visits the file in another frame, don't use it[2].

Does this mean that in Emacs 23 you have `display-buffer-reuse-frames'
nil and `pop-up-frames' t?

Anyway.  Why don't you remove all instances of reuse-window from
`display-buffer-alist' that would use a window on another frame, that
is, use only instances of the (reuse-window ... ... nil) type.  This way
a window gets reused iff it's on the selected frame.

> As for the `other-window' specifier, it seems there's no way to
> customize so as to make it behave as above.  (It might be
> `display-buffer-macro-specifiers', but it's a constant.)

It's been already removed from there.  Please have a look.

> I wish there were a switch that makes it behave as before. ;-)
>
> [1] I don't want an Emacs frame to be split into many windows,
>     because the screen height of my note is not so high, and
>     a font I use is not so small.
> [2] `raise-frame' doesn't work on cygwin (and possibly some
>     window managers, like metacity).

martin