Re: debbugs.el revisited

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: debbugs.el revisited
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 10:47:34 -0400

>>> Is this available anywhere to try out? I didn't see it in the trunk.
>> It's in GNU ELPA, aka "the place where we put software that nobody will
>> ever know where to find, and will never actually use".
> In opensuse they had this bash hack called "zephyr". when you typed a
> command that wasnt in the path it looked it up in the package database
> and offered to install the corresponding package. They have the same
> functionality in Fedora now but I cant find out the name of the program
> that does this now.
> Maybe we could have the same in Emacs? That is:

Indeed, we could: we could process all the autoloads from GNU ELPA
packages, and "neuter" them so that instead of being really active they
just end up advertising the existence of the package.  Doing it for
arbitrary autoloads is probably impossible, but we could start by
handling a few important cases (such as command definitions and
auto-mode-alist additions).
If someone wants to take on this challenge...

        Stefan