Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 23:41:00 +0300

> From: Chong Yidong <address@hidden>
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>         address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 14:28:23 -0400
>
> Here's an idea: how bout if programming language and related buffers
> employ a modified bidi type table in which punctuation characters
> (like + " and <) are bidi segment separators (S)?

Currently, the bidi type table is global, so you cannot change it on a
buffer by buffer basis.

More importantly, I don't think it's a good idea to change the bidi
properties in such a radical way (or at all), because we don't have
the resources to investigate all of the consequences.  For example, <
is a mirrored character, so when it's between to R2L characters, it
displays as > and vice versa.  Yes, I know: you'll suggest to change
the mirroring table as well, but how far should we go? do we really
want to create our own UBA?

> AFAICT, this hack would fix most of the garbaging problems in source
> code as some others like "buffername<1>".

But it will do The Wrong Thing if < or > are parts of the buffer name
itself.