Re: Global bar to display global information

From: Jérémy Compostella
Subject: Re: Global bar to display global information
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 20:54:14 +0000 (UTC)

chad <yandros <at> MIT.EDU> writes:

> On Aug 16, 2011, at 12:23 PM, Jérémy Compostella wrote:
>
> I'm currently using Emacs 23. And I really think it looks inconsistentabout
some features. What does the display-time feature means ?
> […] I just want to be able to see the date and time atthe same place every
time I need.

> For the vast majority of users, emacs is not their operating system, and
> such non-editing facilities don't need to be provided by their editor.  For
> those who do use emacs as (a larger part of) their operating system,
> they typically want very specific things, and know how to assemble those
> things from the (many) parts emacs provides.  For example, Ted Zlanatov
> was pushing forward an effort in this area:
>
>       http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2011-05/msg00746.html
>
> For some(including you), the header-line provides an easy way to meet
> your goals, but others, like Drew Adams, live in a very multi-frame world,
> and need different tools.
I really do understand that we have different usage of Emacs. However, the
feature I describe could be enable or not without any sides effects.

> There is interest in this area, especially if you're willing to work on the
> leading edge.  Perhaps you should try either header-line-format or Ted's
> `Emacs as a Desktop Environment' idea and report back your experience
> with either/both.
As long as I know, header-line-format is buffer related and not frame related.
Am I wrong ?
What is this Ted's `Emacs as a Desktop Environment' you are talking about ?