Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 21:33:26 -0400

> Which variables ought to be moved into `display-buffer-alist'?  I
> haven't seen anyone write down a specific list, and one would be
> helpful.

Four variables should be made obsolete by display-buffer-alist:
same-window-buffer-names, same-window-regexps, special-display-regexps,
and special-display-buffer-names.

The rest should be made obsolete by display-buffer-default-rule (or by
the RULE (formerly NOT-THIS-WINDOW) arg of display-buffer):
pop-up-frames, pop-up-windows, display-buffer-mark-dedicated,
display-buffer-reuse-frames, probably a few more.

I also think that special-display-function can be marked obsolete, not
because something superceded it, but because I don't think anyone ever
used it.

        Stefan