Re: Gdb in emacs 24

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Gdb in emacs 24
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 07:25:10 -0400

> From: David Reitter <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 06:45:37 -0400
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> On Oct 6, 2011, at 1:52 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >
> > The very first line of the doc string says:
> >
> >  gdb is an interactive autoloaded Lisp function in `gdb-mi.el'.
> >                                                     ^^^^^^^^^
>
> So, you're now asking users to infer the interface between GDB and Emacs from
> file names of the source file?

Huh? did you even read the message to which I was responding?  A user
asked why her ELisp function stopped working in Emacs 24.  That
function used "--annotate=3" switch to GDB.  I responded that since
Emacs 24 switched to using the MI interface to GDB, using --annotate
is expected to fail.

IOW, I was trying to explain why --annotate is not going to work.  Is
that something you consider unreasonable?

> I made a constructive suggestion about how to deal with this sort of issue
> going forward.

I made no comments for that suggestion, FWIW.  I hope you will not
consider my silence a vice.