Re: Gdb in emacs 24

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Gdb in emacs 24
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 19:48:34 -0600

>> Wouldn't it be more user-friendly to just ask for the name of the executable
>> after M-x gdb, compose the correct arguments to GDB automatically?

Stefan> That's an option.  But I'd prefer if we tried to make the current
Stefan> behavior work well, instead.  E.g. it could warn the user when it
Stefan> detects a "--fullname" or "--annotate=3".  And/or gdb-mi could try and
Stefan> notice when GDB doesn't seem to behave according the its expectations
Stefan> and output a warning about a possibly missing "-i mi".

Another option would be to have Emacs send commands to gdb at startup to
put it in the right mode.  I don't know if this is possible right now,
but we could surely make it so.  I can do the gdb side if someone is
willing to work with me on the Emacs side.

Tom