Re: Git mirrors

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Git mirrors
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 10:39:05 +0900

>> promoting a technically inferior package (i.e. bzr)
>
> git's supposed technical advantage over bzr is a matter of discussion.

Perhaps, but that's not actually so important.  It's clear that git is
technically very good, that it's seen much wider adoption than any of
its competitors, and that it has the bulk of the mindshare in the
"distributed source control" arena.

Given this situation, a competing system is going to have a very hard
time gaining any ground (and will probably slowly lose ground) unless
it's _significantly_ better than git -- and so far, competing systems
(bzr, hg, etc) are at best roughly on par.

[Doesn't mean it won't happen of course, just that the odds are a bit
long.]

> What cannot be denied, however, is that git has a *lot* more fanboys.

Tsk, tsk, now _that's_ flamebait...

[... and in fact, the opposite is probably true.  Every system starts
out being used by a core of enthusiasts, but git's much farther
towards being over that hump than competing systems like bzr or hg.
Although git's still strongest amongst "technical types", it's seen
huge adoption in many sectors (including stodgy corporate types etc).
Bzr by comparison is still pretty much a niche system kept alive by
the faithful.]

-miles

--
Infancy, n. The period of our lives when, according to Wordsworth, 'Heaven
lies about us.' The world begins lying about us pretty soon afterward.