Re: Emacs pretest 24.0.90

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Emacs pretest 24.0.90
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 14:18:37 +0200

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 14:07, Dani Moncayo <address@hidden> wrote:

> From "http://www.mingw.org/wiki/MSYS":
>
>  MSYS is a collection of GNU utilities such as bash, make, gawk and
> grep to allow
>  building of applications and programs which depend on traditionally UNIX
> tools
>  to be present. It is intended to supplement MinGW and the
> deficiencies of the cmd shell.

In other words, it would be perhaps useful to build a POSIX Emacs on
Windows, less so to build the Emacs port, which doesn't really depend
on "traditional UNIX tools" apart of make and a few simple file tools
like mv and cp. The description you quote is talking about autoconf,
etc.

That said, MSYS was created to build MinGW tools. If they now
advertise it as a general tool to build "programs which depend on
traditionally UNIX tools", they are competing with Cygwin...

> As I said, I'm able to successfully build the latest Emacs trunk on
> Windows using exclusively MinGW and MSYS

Which means that you are using MinGW, and a few tools from MSYS. If
that works for you, I'm glat to hear it. But I wouldn't recommend it
to anyone.

Just out of curiosity, are you able to build the Emacs info files with
MSYS' makeinfo?

    Juanma