Re: Multi-platform build system

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Multi-platform build system
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 09:55:09 +0900

Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:
> Experience shows that a cmake spec usually is a fraction of the
> length of the equivalent autoconf+automake/Makefile spec,
> line-wise. Maintenance work is proportionally reduced. It's easier
> to add new features, too.

Off-topic, but I'm quite skeptical of this claim, compared to
automake.  Makefile.am files tend to be pretty darn close to the
minimal amount of information required to build (in typical cases: a
list of source files), and very easy to extend.

Automake's implementation is not very pretty, but the interface
presented to the user is extremely good.

-Miles

--
Cannon, n. An instrument employed in the rectification of national boundaries.