Re: C-x 2 and C-x 3

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: C-x 2 and C-x 3
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 22:11:43 +0530

If split window is really about splitting the window and not really
about the buffer it displays then I would much prefer that these

(split-window-side-by-side &optional SIZE)
(split-window-above-each-other &optional SIZE)

be replaced with

(split-window-linewise &optional here)
(split-window-columnwise &optional here)

In cartesian-speak, to draw a line one needs a point and a
gradient/slope.

here => effectively a boolean. If true, the split will pass through the
current cursor or mouse position.

linewise => a gradient of zero
columnwise => a gradient of infinity

The orientations of line or a column is pretty unambiguous, I believe.