Re: GnuTLS for W32

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: GnuTLS for W32
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 21:30:23 +0100

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 17:19, chad <address@hidden> wrote:

> Out of curiosity, do you assemble the pieces of your operating system by hand

No, because I'm not offered that alternative in the system I use.

> and manually check for updates yourself?

I disable automatic checking and do manual checks every now and then, yes.

> Do you think that most GNU/Linux distributions are too much like `software as
> a service' for the same reasons?

Certainly I don't like much the way GNU/Linux distributions are going.

> It would mean that the default Emacs would automatically try to establish a
> network connection without asking you, yes.

If my vote counts, I'll vote against that being the default.

> If you believe that the default user is opposed to this, I'll suggest that
> you might not have noticed them all voting with their feet in favor of this
> at least a decade ago.  This isn't even the old `Windows Majority', even - I
> can't think of a computing system today that meets the criteria ``might run
> Emacs 24.2'' and ``does NOT somehow check the network for critical updates in
> the default installation''.

Last I checked, Emacs wasn't yet an operating system. There are plenty
of applications, many of them quite new, with no automatic checking
and/or upgrading.

    Juanma