RE: Emacs 24.0.93 Pretest Windows Binaries published

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Emacs 24.0.93 Pretest Windows Binaries published
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 14:05:54 -0800

> Any installer I assemble will not replace the Emacs binaries

Thanks for that.

> I've covered the reasons for the installer on this list,

There are actually two lists for this thread.  One of them is
help-emacs-windows, which has Windows users, not necessarily Emacs developers,
as participants and readers.

> going back and forth over several alternatives.  This was a very
> recent thread.  An installer seems to be the best approach but
> you can read through the discussion and decide for yourself.

You were not specific about which thread, so I searched the emacs-devel header
lines for "windows",  "installer" (no hits for that one), and "GnuTLS".

I came across this, as the last post for what is presumably the thread in
question (?):

> From: Chong Yidong
>
> Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > The main argument is still that GnuTLS, etc. have their own projects
> > and maintainers, and they should be the ones taking care of building
> > and distributing it.
>
> Agreed.  I think it is sufficient to have a URL to the GnuTLS binaries
> (and sources!).  If the worry is that Windows users won't see
> that URL, we can put the notice somewhere on our webpage next to
> the download link, and/or in a "read me first" file on the FTP site.

That doesn't seem to quite correspond to what we're seeing now (GnuTLS mentioned
in the announcement, and with no description of it) or with what you are arguing
for (an Emacs installer for Windows), but perhaps you meant something different.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that Windows binaries will continue to be published.
Thanks.