Re: Defaults for elisp-mode files

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Defaults for elisp-mode files
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 23:48:24 -0400

>> For the `utf-8', I guess we can simply set auto-coding-alist
> I suppose you mean
>     (set-coding-system-priority 'utf-8)

No, I mean to set auto-coding-list so that .el files get read as utf-8.

> something similar, if unofficial, is true for Emacs.

I don't think so: if the file doesn't have a `coding:' cookie but has
significant non-ASCII chars in it, we usually sooner or later get bug
reports about it (because someone loaded the file in an locale where
the encoding ended up not recognized correctly).

So I suspect the main breakage will be in personal files (typically the
.emacs file) rather than in packages.

> While you *can* set `auto-coding-alist', I think it will cause a lot
> of pain.

We'll see ;-)

        Stefan