Re: GNU ELPA visibility

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: GNU ELPA visibility
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 15:26:36 +0400

On 27.10.2012 9:18, Chong Yidong wrote:
Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

It would be good if every package would at least complement Version and
Summary with a longer description, a link to its homepage (or emacswiki
page if it has no homepage), and the date when it was updated the last
time.

You may find that, for single-file packages, even if they provide an
extended "Commentary" section, it will not show up in the
"list-packages" interface. At least when distributed over MELPA or
Marmalade.

Please provide an example of what you mean.  I just checked with the GNU
ELPA packages, and the commentaries show up fine with "?" in the
*Packages* buffer.  Maybe MELPA or Marmalade are not providing the
*-readme.txt files which are supposed to be there.

That is the problem with those two repositories, yes.

In principle, though, when there is no readme.txt, the package manager could fetch the source file and parse the description from it.
I understand that not doing that saves traffic, although I wonder how much.

I think it's fixed in Daniel Haxney's package.el fork, though.

If there is a bug, it should be fixed orthogonally to all the rest of
the refactoring he is trying to do.

I'm sorry for the confusion, his code is not doing anything different in that regard. I guess I skimmed it a while ago, saw the related part of `describe-package-1', got excited and failed to notice both the condition (if built-in) and the fact that that code is the same in the Emacs trunk.