Re: org-export raises stringp nil error

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: org-export raises stringp nil error
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 21:09:36 +0100

[please keep on emacs.devel]

Eli Zaretskii writes:
>> In any case, doing the built-in packages this way (or something similar)
>> takes a lot of unecessary churn and merges out of the release process
>> and I would think that would be a clear advantage to everyone involved.
>
> I see that we have come a full circle, what with all this new blood
> pouring into Emacs development, and we are finally ready to repeat the
> failed experiment with dividing Emacs into "core" and "all the rest".

Please enlighten me as to what this experiment was and when it happened
so I can read up on it.  This is a sincere request, I have no desire to
repeat a past mistake.

Note that I haven't said anything about what is core and what is not,
that issue is orthogonal to how Emacs' structures its software
repositories.  Off the cuff I'd say we'd end up with roughly the same
set of "core" packages than today, then grow from there.

What I am talking about is reducing the interdependencies between
projects on wildly different release schedules for the purpose of making
the integration easier.  That requires effort on both sides, but I posit
that there is a net gain — if there is agreement on how to do this and
an easily followed set of rules that describes the procedures.

> Good luck (you will need it)!

This is engineering, not gaming (although I wouldn't mind a bit of luck
once in a while).

Regards,
Achim.