Abolishing ChangeLog files (was: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the

From: Christopher Schmidt
Subject: Abolishing ChangeLog files (was: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 09:55:29 +0000 (GMT)

David Engster <address@hidden> writes:
> The most time consuming thing is fixing ChangeLogs (we don't have any
> in CEDET and generate them from commit logs).

I would like to suggest another change - how about removing ChangeLog
files from the development repository.  I think these files are
redundant to the commit log of the vc.

Removing the files from the repository would clean diffs and reduce
merge conflicts.  Considering distributed vc, a project's history cannot
be thought of as to be list of consecutive increments.

Distributions of Emacs could include ChangeLog files generated from the
vc commit log, of course.

Do I make sense?  Are there any drawbacks?

        Christopher