Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 21:16:46 +0300

> From: John Wiegley <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 12:44:43 -0500
>
> As a data point: if Emacs does decide on Git, I'll become a more active
> contributor again; if it doesn't, I have other things to do.  Bzr/Mercurial is
> enough of a "joy-stealing" barrier that -- like now -- I would not be
> interested in submitting my work upstream.  And this same situation is true
> for some others as well, as evidenced by voices on this mailing list.

I'm very sad to hear that, because I think it is improper for
contributors to put up such an ultimatum for a project.  I hope that
people who contribute to Emacs (and any other project) are first and
foremost interested in advancing the project, and any other
considerations are secondary.

At least that's how I reacted when Gawk and Make switched to Git: I
gnashed my teeth and adapted.  I hope so will you.