Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 23:48:49 +0300

> From: Sam Steingold <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 14:57:03 -0400
>
> > I hope that people who contribute to Emacs (and any other project) are
> > first and foremost interested in advancing the project, and any other
> > considerations are secondary.
>
> This is a very simplistic view, IMHO.

You've got to see the wood, trees notwithstanding.

> Many people contribute because they have a personal itch to scratch.
> If scratching the itch involves an "unpleasant experience" (struggling
> with an unfamiliar VCS, paperwork - you name it), some people would
> forego the scratching.

Exactly what I have with Gawk and Make.  But the itch wins, as I think
it should.

> Many people contribute to several projects and have to balance their
> time between them, and if contributing to one project is unpleasant for
> some reason, they may dedicate less of their time to it.

Yes, that's what I do, too.

With Emacs available through git for a long time, and patches welcome
from people who for some reason cannot commit themselves, I don't see
too many reasons for unpleasant experience in the case in point.