Re: MS-Windows build using Posix configury

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: MS-Windows build using Posix configury
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 14:36:36 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Yes, "make install" will create it, but that's not the point.  See the
> second part of the sentence I wrote and you quoted above.  The point
> is that I want to encourage people to install ports of GNU and Unix
> software in a single tree, so that they all play together well without
> a lot of tinkering with environment variables.  And _since_ there
> usually is not /usr/local on Windows systems, I doubt that /usr/local
> will be a good guess of where people might put such a tree.  So I
> _want_ them to think about the root of that tree, and I want them to
> use that in the --prefix option.

Ok; INSTALL should say that. The point is to make clear what your
reasons are, so if I decide to ignore your advice, I know what the
issues are.

I had the same complaint about the Cygwin installer; it used to complain
if I installed to c:/ (requiring an extra confirming click), without
saying anything about why that might matter, leaving me to wonder if
Cygwin would break in some way. In that case, there was a rationale
posted online, which boiled down to "users might have other stuff
installed at c:/".

>> For Emacs users used to customizing things on Linux, the additional
>> information is helpful.
>
> Are there such users who don't prefer Cygwin instead?

I'm one :). I don't use Cygwin Emacs, because it doesn't work well
with the MinGW and native Windows tools I use. Although that may have
improved since I first played with this, back in Emacs 21 days. I do use
Cygwin bash and make, under native Emacs; that works well.

--
-- Stephe