Re: MS-Windows build using Posix configury

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: MS-Windows build using Posix configury
Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 01:48:49 -0500

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>> I'd like to encourage everyone who builds native Windows port of Emacs
>> to please switch to this method; the old nt/configure.bat and
>> Windows-specific makefile.w32-in files are from now on deprecated.
>> Start by reading nt/INSTALL.MSYS.
>
> Thank you for you work. A few comments on the documentation:
>
>>     It is always preferable to use --prefix to configure Emacs for
>>     some specific location of its installed tree; the default
>>     /usr/local is not suitable for Windows.

It would be best to say _why_ you think "/usr/local is not suitable for
Windows". Certainly Microsoft doesn't care about "/usr/local". Neither
does MSYS or MinGW (if installed in the default places).

Cygwin might, if installed at c:/ (as I do). In that case, it would
appear your MSYS/MinGW Emacs build is a Cygwin build, which would be
confusing.

--
-- Stephe