Re: Posix build on Windows: parallel `make' broken

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Posix build on Windows: parallel `make' broken
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 19:58:39 +0300

> From: Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 17:47:40 +0200
> Cc: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>,
>       Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> A few comments about INSTALL.MSYS:

Thanks.

> - It says that GTK includes PNG, JPEG and TIFF libraries. PNG is in
> its own standalone package, but in a not-exhaustive check, I didn't
> find JPEG and TIFF libraries here. Perhaps a pointer could be useful.

I just removed the reference to JPEG and TIFF.  (Perhaps they are
included in some other package; if someone knows, please tell.)

> - The example invocation of msysconfig.sh says:
>
>     CPPFLAGS='-DGLYPH_DEBUG=1' CFLAGS='-O0 -g3' ./nt/msysconfig.sh
> --prefix=PREFIX --enable-checking
>
>   but I suppose -DGLYPH_DEBUG=1 shouldn't be required if using
> --enable-checking=yes,glyphs, should it?

Old habits die hard, and that is just an example.  If you have better
examples, I'm all ears.

> - You mentioned in a thread that the way to make a binary tarball is
> to use "make install prefix=SOMEWHERE" and then create a tar archive
> from SOMEWHERE. That should be mentioned, I think; also, that
> procedure does not copy libXpm.dll (which the configure.bat based
> build method could do by using --distfiles), so that should be noted
> too.

I'd prefer that someone who actually did that describe this.

> - There's now a --with-file-notification=w32 option that isn't on by
> default. Perhaps worth mentioning?

It is on by default.  I don't see why it should be mentioned when
other configure options aren't.

> > Do you have EMACSLOADPATH set in the environment or something?
>
> Aha. No, I don't have EMACSLOADPATH in the environment, but yesterday
> I did a "make install" of some older release and it added
> EMACSLOADPATH (and friends) to the registry. Removing these makes the
> warning disappear.

Good.  One more mystery eats dust.

Thanks.