Re: Build failure on MS-Windows

From: Richard Copley
Subject: Re: Build failure on MS-Windows
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 21:10:38 +0100

On 18 June 2013 20:40, Glenn Morris <address@hidden> wrote:
Dmitry Gutov wrote:

>> 4. cd <build tree>.
>> 5. rm -fr *
[...]
> You need to 'make bootstrap', not just 'make'.

To elucidate, simply deleting the build tree does not delete the
compiled Lisp files, which get compiled in the source tree.

(Yes this is ugly; IIUC, it's essentially because the .elc files are
prebuilt in release tarfiles.)

Last I heard [http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=14503#8], make bootstrap is broken for an out-of-tree build, but that might have been fixed now.

I'm pretty sure this sequence of commands will give you a clean up-to-date branch in all situations (I'm no bzr expert, and it might be doing too much or not enough, but it seems to work for me):

bzr clean-tree --unknown --ignored --detritus --verbose --force
bzr revert --no-backup
bzr pull --overwrite
bzr update

Then you can run autogen.sh, msyconfig.sh and make, in MSYS.

I've just rebuilt from scratch like that and it worked just fine for me.

I did have to replace "make.exe" with the pre-release version mentioned in INSTALL.MSYS. (The default MSYS make 3.81 had been working for me, even for a parallel build, until recently. This time it seemed to hang towards the end of "make all".)