Re: How to restore the layout?

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: How to restore the layout?
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 08:34:09 +0200

>> We'd have to recreate the old window sequence numbers first and make
>> windows and saved minibuffer frame parameters store these numbers.  The
>> minibuffer frame parameters would have to be restored after all frames
>> have been created, from a list associating each new window with its old
>> sequence number.
>
> Seems messy.

I'm afraid there's no other way round.  We could save a pointer to a
frame instead which then must either be or have a minibuffer window and
reconstruct the value from that which would be yet a bit more messy.

>> Here we'd have for each frame/window store the names of the buffers on
>> these lists and reassign them after the buffers have been recreated.
>
> Why frame/window? Isn't that a frame parameter?

Windows have buffer lists too.

> Restoring the frame's buffer-list could be done right now without
> really having to change much, other than the format of
> desktop--saved-states.

We'd still have to translate buffer objects to buffer names when saving
and convert them back when restoring states plus remove any buffers
found dead by `desktop-restore-file-buffer'.

martin