Re: icomplete-mode vs. iswitchb

From: Stephen Eglen
Subject: Re: icomplete-mode vs. iswitchb
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 18:53:11 +0000

On Thu, Dec 12 2013, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>>> But I have just tested this:
>>> (setq ido-mode 'buffer)
>>> (ido-mode 1)
>
> Seems to do more than iswitchb: it also change C-x C-f.

yes, sorry that was my mistake; but
   (ido-mode 'buffers)
is a drop-in replacement for iswitchb from what I can see and does not
hijack find-file.

> I think I'm beginning to understand the emotional response, tho: people
> seem to think that putting icomplete-mode in the obsolete data is a kind
> of *recommendation*, which is not the intention.
>
> I'll just add ido-mode in there as well, which I hope will stop the
> religious hysteria.

Yes, all that's needed (from my viewpoint) is to note that "(ido-mode
'buffers)" will mean iswitchb users will not see any significant
changes.  If they want to try out icomplete, fine (and I will try it out
myself!).

Stephen