Re: How to update the copyright notice?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: How to update the copyright notice?
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 19:32:59 -0500

    Updating copyright notice is as useless as the gnu license note itself
    in all files. If we are serious about the copyright notice, we should
    also be serious about the dates. I don't understand why we should state
    in all the files that they were modified in 2014, if they actually were
    not.

Our lawyer said to list, in each file of Emacs, the years in which
Emacs (as a whole) was modified nontrivially.  Once Emacs is modified
nontrivially in 2014, that list of years should include 2014.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation