Re: enable MELPA & Marmalade by defaul [was: mykie.el]

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: enable MELPA & Marmalade by defaul [was: mykie.el]
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2014 22:41:39 -0500

    How many times did you pick a "random" package?  Once?
    What proportion of Marmalade packages have no license?

A program with no license notice is not free software.
(See http://gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#NoLicense.)
It is very bad practice for a repository to permits nonfree programs.
Every repository should have a policy not to do that.

    > It seems like a reasonable assumption that the overwhelming mass is
    > licensed under the GPL, but I absolutely do think a user cannot tell
    > whether an unlabelled package is free or not, at least I can't, not
    > without consulting the author.

If a source file doesn't have a license notice then it is nonfree.

Maybe this policy results from a misunderstanding on the part
of whoever runs Marmalade.  We should try explaining the facts
about missing licenses and see if the maintainer of Marmalade
will change the policy to stop allowing them.  Can someone put me
in touch with the right people?

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation