Re: trunk r115926: In preparation for the move to git, sanitize out some

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: trunk r115926: In preparation for the move to git, sanitize out some Bazaar-specific names.
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 15:45:42 +0100

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 3:29 PM, Eric S. Raymond <address@hidden> wrote:

> By your own analysis, there is *no* compatible fix.  Whatever the function
> and variable are called, stuff is going to break because the revision-ID
> format is different.

It won't be able to extract the required information, because it will
not exist anymore. But, as that code is checking for nil, it won't
break. Your change will make it break:

(setq emacs-repository-version "fce2a09142ddccc242931edd16712c2c24e10e8e")

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p
fce2a09142ddccc242931edd16712c2c24e10e8e)
  -(115933 fce2a09142ddccc242931edd16712c2c24e10e8e)
  (and (and (boundp (quote emacs-bzr-version)) emacs-bzr-version) (-
(read (emacs-bzr-get-version)) (read emacs-bzr-version)))
  eval((and (and (boundp (quote emacs-bzr-version)) emacs-bzr-version)
(- (read (emacs-bzr-get-version)) (read emacs-bzr-version))) nil)
  eval-last-sexp-1(nil)
  eval-last-sexp(nil)
  call-interactively(eval-last-sexp nil nil)
  command-execute(eval-last-sexp)

> work any differently than with both aliases in place.

Switching to Git with remove some functionality (specifically, being
easily able to check how many commits there are between the compiled
Emacs and the repository head). That cannot be helped, sort of looking
for alternatives. I'm not complaining about lack of functionality, but
code breaking.

But anyway, that's not even the issue. The issue is that we had an
interface which said that it would return a string with some format,
or nil. You want to keep that interface, but make it return something
different. That's incompatible *and* unnecessary. And you seem to
insist just because you don't like the idea of the old APIs being
around in loadup.el?