RE: Occur stack

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Occur stack
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 13:32:24 -0800 (PST)

> I'd also like some way of better managing dired buffers. Every time
> I try to use dired intensively instead of the shell, I end up with
> dozens of dired buffers laying around. I'd prefer everything to happen
> in a single dired buffer unless I explicitly "fork" my dired history.
> IOW, navigation in dired buffers, and eww buffers, and occur buffers,
> should work exactly like web browser pages with an "open in new tab"
> option.

You can of course use `C-x C-v' to change directories without multiplying
buffers.

Being able to not multiply Dired buffers seems to be a pretty common
request (not necessarily on emacs-devel, but in general).

For that, Dired+ offers command `diredp-toggle-find-file-reuse-dir'.
It toggles whether Dired `find-file' commands, such as `dired-find-file',
reuse directories.  A negative prefix arg means do not reuse buffers; a
non-negative prefix arg means reuse.

For reusing, this essentially substitutes `find-alternate-file' for
`find-file' whenever the argument is a directory.

http://www.emacswiki.org/DiredPlus