Re: Move to git is imminent - awaiting Stefan's approval

From: Martin Geisler
Subject: Re: Move to git is imminent - awaiting Stefan's approval
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 17:23:49 +0000 (UTC)

Eric S. Raymond <esr <at> thyrsus.com> writes:

> The thread on the git move proposal is showing signs of exhaustion and
> terminal topic drift.  We can ask Karl Fogel for a poll count but I
> think we all know how that would turn out; the pro-git vote has
> been overwhelming.

I'm a Mercurial developer, but I wish you luck on the transition! In any
community, people should use the tool they like best and feel most
productive with.

However, let me just add that Facebook recently announced that they're
switching from Subversion to Mercurial after evaluating the performance of
Git. Their conclusion was that Git could not be improved as easily as
Mercurial so they went ahead and made Mercurial fast for their infrastructure:

  https://code.facebook.com/posts/218678814984400/scaling-mercurial-at-facebook/

Also, I would like to hear what graphical tools people use with Git that
matches the cross-platform TortoiseHg tool? It is invaluable in showing the
DAG and quickly browsing revisions:

  http://tortoisehg.bitbucket.org/screenshots.html

(The screenshots are mostly from Windows, but I use it daily on Linux.)

--
Martin Geisler