Re: Move to git is imminent - awaiting Stefan's approval

From: Angelo Graziosi
Subject: Re: Move to git is imminent - awaiting Stefan's approval
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 23:14:08 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
8. There's the emacs-bzr-version whose value gets copied into the bug
    reports.  This should be replaced by the suitable git equivalent,
    or else the bug reports (of which we have quite a few each day)
    will not identify the version correctly.

Perhaps I have a similar question (or the same?)

Usually I build emacs trunk weekly. My local copy of trunk has been created, the first time, with

$ bzr checkout --lightweight http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/trunk emacs-trunk

and then updating "daily" it with

$ cd emacs-trunk
$ bzr up

which prints each time the trunk revision number, e.g.

[...]
All changes applied successfully. Updated to revision 115890 of branch http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/trunk

When I find a problem ("bug"), I flag it to this list saying something like this

"In trunk rev. 115890 there is this problem... BLA BLA BLA..."

Now trying

$ git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs.git emacs.git

I don't get any revision number.. So in my future bug report how the trunk will be identified?

Beside this, my local copy of BZR repository has dimension

$ du -s emacs-trunk/
126M    emacs-trunk/

instead the git repository has dimension

$ du -s emacs.git/
1.1G    emacs.git/

it contains an emacs.git/.git directory of about 930M which probably doesn't need for the Emacs build (bootstrap).

This is very annoying...

Ciao,
 Angelo.