Re: Including Yasnippet to Emacs

From: Stefan
Subject: Re: Including Yasnippet to Emacs
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 15:36:42 -0400

> I've checked those ones you noted, even snippet.el. They all are not so
> powerful and user-friendly as yasnippet.

snippet.el is not designed to be user-friendly, but to be easy to
integrate in a major-mode instead (yasnippet rather sucks in this
regard, you end up needing to distribute umpteen little files instead).

[ BTW, part of the intention behind snippet.el is to make Edebug work
  with them.  Si in some cases they may turn out to be more
  user-friendly, rather than less so.  ]

As for "not so powerful", I'm not sure what you mean: they should be
pretty much as powerful as yasnippet's since yasnippet will be written
on top of them.  And of course, they can run any Lisp code you like.

> And they are all not manage keybindings.

This layer is not provided yet, indeed.  E.g. I want to link snippet.el with
abbrevs, so the "table of snippets" will be an abbrev table.

> And probably not support expansion depending on context in simple way.

Not sure what "in a simple way" means.

> And docs are really stingy.

For skeleton.el, the system is trivial enough that I don't know what
more docs we could provide.  For snippet.el, it's still in flux and
there are indeed no docs yet, IIRC.

> And snippet language is not so powerful and readable, as in yasnippet.

"Readable" here is in the eye of the beholder.  But the whole idea
behind snippet.el is to get rid of this dichotomy: you can write your
snippets using the Lispish snippet.el syntax (i.e. a syntax that
makes sense to me) or you can write them in the yasnippet syntax if
you prefer $ over parentheses.

        Stefan